Type I Operations
(i) the installation or removal of manufactured products containing asbestos, including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, products such as vinyl or acoustic tiles, gaskets, seals, packings, friction products, or asbestos cement products,
(ii) the cutting and shaping of a product mentioned in subclause (i) by the use of hand-powered tools only,
(iii) the use of power tools equipped with a dust collection device equipped with a HEPA filter to cut, grind or abrade a product mentioned in subclause (i),
(iv) the drilling of a product mentioned in subclause (i), or
(v) the removal of drywall where asbestos joint filling compounds have been used
The following measures and procedures apply to Type I operations:
- Before beginning work, visible dust shall be removed with a damp cloth or a vacuum equipped with a HEPA filter from any surface in the work area, including the thing to be worked on, if the dust on that surface is likely to be disturbed.
- The spread of asbestos dust from the work area shall be controlled by measures appropriate to the work to be done including the use of drop sheets of polyethylene or other suitable material.
- In the case of an operation mentioned in subclause 9 (1) (a) (ii), (iii) or (iv), the product shall be wetted unless wetting creates a hazard or causes damage.
- Frequently and at regular intervals during the doing of the work and immediately upon completion of the work
Compressed air shall not be used to clean up and remove dust from any surface.
Eating, drinking, chewing or smoking shall not be permitted in the work area.
Where a worker requests that the employer provide a respirator to be used by the worker, the employer shall provide the worker with a non-powered reusable or replaceable air purifying dust respirator suitable for protection against asbestos and the worker shall wear and use the respirator.
Facilities for the washing of hands and face shall be made available to a worker and shall be used by every worker when leaving the work area. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 838, s. 11.
- dust and waste containing asbestos shall be cleaned up and removed using a vacuum equipped with a HEPA filter, or by damp mopping or wet sweeping and placed in a container as described in paragraph 3 of section 12.
- drop sheets that will be reused shall be cleaned using a vacuum equipped with a HEPA filter or by damp wiping, and
- drop sheets that are to be disposed of shall be wetted and folded to contain the dust and placed in a container as described in paragraph 3 of section 12.